NI should follow plane spotter plan, says enthusiast

Started by casper, Jun 16, 2024, 11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angry turnip

I just read this and as ever it's a touch of the media making fun of our hobby.
The article is poorly written "Luke Wilson has béen plane spotting 15 years", should be for 15 years, maybe I'm just being picky.
I have never liked the term "spotter",In my opinion it implies nerdyness or weirdo,which is unfair and largely untrue.

As for viewing area,it is going to cost money,BFS needs to make money from the terminal space, also the interior area was rarely used due to parking costs plus the lack of flights for long periods.

It's not realistic to compare BFS with Dublin Airport, they're worlds apart and also funded differently.Dublin may go ahead with their fancy design, you can bet it won't be cheap to build or use.
It's a nice idea, but BFS have better things to spend their money on, like getting rid of the long walk of shame to arrivals/Passport control.

Jimi182

Spends 40 hours a week plane spotting?

Where lol?

JasonT1981

As much as I would like it. Realistically, there is little demand.

We had one already built in the airport that closed, partly due to lack of people/interest. They really aren't going to spend money to create a new one.

If Belfast had a bit of variety then sure, but all we have is Easyjet and Ryanair. Sure we get some military from time to time and the AN124 but is it really enough to justify a new spotters area?

I can spend many hours at Heathrow, Manchester also has its own area and has variety. Belfast lacks that. I even got bored at Birmingham airport with a runway view from my hotel room and it has a lot more than Belfast.

Jimi182

Quote from: JasonT1981 on Jun 16, 2024, 03:45 PMAs much as I would like it. Realistically, there is little demand.

We had one already built in the airport that closed, partly due to lack of people/interest. They really aren't going to spend money to create a new one.

If Belfast had a bit of variety then sure, but all we have is Easyjet and Ryanair. Sure we get some military from time to time and the AN124 but is it really enough to justify a new spotters area?

I can spend many hours at Heathrow, Manchester also has its own area and has variety. Belfast lacks that. I even got bored at Birmingham airport with a runway view from my hotel room and it has a lot more than Belfast.

Agreed - Dublin has the variety. BFS does not. And, where on the grounds would they place it? All farm land around the airport etc so not really the land for it.

Also, is there a chance it'd be a less than popular move by BFS, given some of their visitors (USAF). Dublin doesn't get that sort of thing.

sneaky_nikon

Quote from: angry turnip on Jun 16, 2024, 12:57 PMI have never liked the term "spotter",In my opinion it implies nerdyness or weirdo

You say that like it's a bad thing! 😁

angry turnip

Lol,nerdy is okay,but it's weirdo that bothers me.I don't own any Radiohead albums :)

I also don't own an anorak,each to their own,but I think the OP is being unrealistic.
BFS needs investment,yes,but an area for enthusiasts will not even be on their radar.

Jimi182

Quote from: angry turnip on Jun 17, 2024, 06:19 PMLol,nerdy is okay,but it's weirdo that bothers me.I don't own any Radiohead albums :)

I also don't own an anorak,each to their own,but I think the OP is being unrealistic.
BFS needs investment,yes,but an area for enthusiasts will not even be on their radar.

Yes, and even if they did build a spotter's area, who would actually go that often?  Unless it was something special?  Who wants to see endless easyJets and Jet2?